Skip to main content

Hey listen ... 充耳(差點)不聞

Last Tuesday at work, a new face was sitting at the communal computer in my office. Since we normally settle our visitors down at that computer, I thought that she was only another of those guests. I had things to do at my computer, and after we greeted each other I settled into my routine, plugged the earphones into my ears to listen to music while doing the work.

It was going to be just another normal day, but to my surprise the visitor started cleaning the empty desk next to mine some time after 16:00. Only then did it dawn on me that she was a new colleague! I took off my earphones in no time and introduced myself to her while apologising for being impolite for the whole day. She smiled and told me that she had wanted to talk to me earlier but decided against it since I had my earphones on.

I felt a little awkward because I certainly didn't mean to be cool towards her and I'm hardly that type of person! I only wanted to keep myself wakeful and alert at the computer with the music while doing some repetitive work.
Fortunately this brief moment of uneasiness went away as quickly as it came after we exchanged a couple of jokes about it.

Then it was my turn of my German colleagues, who asked her to help clean up everyone's place. The whole office burst into laughter with this interesting request! Well, it wasn't such a bad idea actually, since the cleaning lady of our department (responsible for cleaning some of the laboratory apparatus and the pantries) is always on leave and she's now on another one. This new colleague could have easily taken her place instead! This is one of the very few times I see German humour in action (maybe the only time I can catch it is when the people speak in English instead of German), but I will dare anyone to see or do anything like this in a Chinese setting - and doing this once would already be once too often ...


上星期二上班時,有個女人坐在辦公室的公用電腦,我以為是個普通訪客(因平時我們會安排訪客坐在那裡),那天我也要做些電腦工作,打個招呼後便如常用耳筒塞着耳朵,邊聽音樂邊工作。

下午四點多,驀然發覺那個女人正在清潔我隔鄰空着的桌子,我想了一想,難道她是新同事?我趕忙脫下耳筒,邊道歉邊向她自我介紹,她便微笑跟我說,她也本想跟我聊幾句了,祇是我一直戴着耳筒,以為有啥重要事要做,所以不敢打擾。

聽罷有點腼腆,我可不是個拒人於門外的人哪!我聽音樂還是為了提神,不然重覆的步驟做得久了,精神便不能那般集中。

幸好我們都沒有介懷,說了兩句笑後便沒事了。

這時輪到德國同事用英語跟她開玩笑,着她替所有人輪流清潔,大家都哈哈大笑。其實這個主意也不錯,實驗室的清潔女工(負責清潔實驗器具及小廚房)頻頻請假,最近亦然,這個新同事正好替補也!誰說一向嚴肅的德國人不懂幽默?(大抵我德語不靈,平常德國人說笑我一定不懂)但換了在中國人的地方,新同事的第一天便跟其開一個如此的玩笑,後果請自負!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel advisories 旅遊忠告

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade issues travel advisories for all countries in the world, and the list is nothing short of exhaustive. Obviously Hong Kong’s perpetual air pollution gets a mention (and it touched the nerves of the local media), as well as the haze that descends upon Singapore between July and October. But Australian major cities are not totally spotless in regard to air pollution. Last Saturday I was quite surprised by the reduced visibility on the roads when driving under the broad daylight of noon. Since it was not supposed to be a foggy day, the only possibility was a haze or smog of some kind. I never thought that it could occur on a day with lighter traffic like the weekend. The lab where I am working now is located on the 8th floor of a hospital building adjoining the main building of the research institute, and we have to go through an outdoor stairway whenever we want to enter or exit the main building. The stairway offers an unhindered vi...

A nosy foodie 隔鄰飯香

My colleagues usually bring their own lunch to work and we gather in the tea room for lunch every day. When I have lunch together with the Chinese group, we all like to peek into each other’s lunch boxes, sing praises of each other’s food and exchange a few cooking tips. But when I sit with the locals, we hardly pay attention to, let alone comment on, other people’s food (although I still carry the bad habit over from the Chinese group!) I guess that’s partly because there isn’t so much to talk about on sandwiches or the standard fare from the hospital canteen, and partly because it’s probably only kids who are so nosy about other people’s food! One of my colleagues is a mother of two and both children are attending primary school. In their school, pupils are only allowed to have lunch in classrooms under supervision so that they won’t be able to swap food and eat something wrong in so doing (especially food that triggers allergy or other undesirable reactions). With so many people cro...

When autumn settles 秋高氣爽

Finally the weather has stopped being temperamental in October, and is giving us as many fine days as we ask for. The increasing chilliness in the morning air, however, is a reminder that beautiful autumn days like these don't necessarily last long! The weather was still rather warm for the first few days of the month. On 1st October, my colleagues and I took an early finish at work and went for the Oktoberfest. While it was not as jam-packed and crazy as the opening day , it was still not easy to find a table. We sat outside during the day time and switched indoors in the beer tent after dark. The atmosphere inside was simply infectious. We all entered a state of exhilaration in no time, as we saw a sea of people standing on the benches, dancing and chanting to the music of the band. It finally dawned on me how people could spend a whole day at the Oktoberfest. Beer, it seems, is the best form ecstasy for many people in Western societies! The cooler weather in the following weeken...